02. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? um, some of them. see here. i kept 11, 15, 19, and 20. MAN, I SUCK!
03. Did someone close to you give birth? nope, though i just saw a girl i was friends with in high school today and she has TWO babies! actually, my old next door neighbor had a baby too.
04. Did anyone close to you die? yes. a friend of mine died this past summer of a drug overdose. we weren't the best of friends, but we talked every few days and hung out a couple of times IRL.
05. What countries did you visit? only the usa.
06. What would you like to have in 2004 that you lacked in 2003? a steady and non-temp job that pays the bills. i would also like to eventually date another person who is as nerdy about music as i am.
07. What date from 2003 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? man, this one is always a hard one. i'd say right now thinking back about the best overall few nights of the past year...07 aug: Metropolitan/Wolf Colonel @ Galaxy Hut (Arlington, VA) VS. 27 sep: MAKE-OUT PARTY #5 (aka: my going away party) @ Diver City House (Arlington, VA) VS. 08 oct: death cab for cutie/the long winters @ Union Pub (Iota City, IA) VS. 25 oct: Beulah/John Vanderslice @ The Abbey. These were days I just remember beaming the whole day through and being with the people who mean the most to me. It's funny how most of those shows happened this summer/fall. I would also like to note that eric was only there at one of those dates...or maybe i'm just blocking out the really amazing days i had with him as a way of coping with it. anyways, it was an alright year for shows, but in the long run, i felt as though this year was not as filled with amazing shows as years of past were. hm.
08. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year? i'd say surviving nearly three months in a new town without a nearby support group is a big one.
09. What was your biggest failure(s)? the fact that i have still yet to start a proper band or even record anything (not even on my computer) in months.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? nothing more than my typical winter colds.
11. What was the best thing you bought? hm. i really like my ikea entertainment center a whole lot.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? all the people who helped me move. oh man, they are good peoples.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? oh, his name is a four letter word...
14. Where did most of your money go? rent, home furnishings, bill paying, and records.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? coming home for christmas!
16. What song will always remind you of 2003? death cab for cutie - the sound of settling
17. Compared to this time last year, are you
i. happier or sadder? sadder.
ii. thinner or fatter? a little thinner.
iii. richer or poorer? in the end right now poorer, i suppose.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? getting motivated to write/record music.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? slacking.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? with the fams, but soon i'll get to see some friends.
22. Did you fall in love in 2003? oh yeah.
23. How many one-night stands? zero.
24. What was your favorite TV program? ALIAS!
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? yep.
26. What was the best book you read?
- me talk pretty one day
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? charlene or palaxy tracks.
28. What did you want and get? a new perspective!
29. What did you want and not get? A LOT OF RECORDS THAT I WANTED. some new friends in chicago also would have been nice, but i'm working on that.
30. Favorite film of this year? oh man. that's always a hard one. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING. also, i really liked the shape of things in the end. it really was the only movie to really have a profound effect on me this past year.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? hm. i turned 24 on may 10th and i had a birthday party with literally 4 friends at honolulu and then we brought the party to four seasons. no offense, but truth be told, this was one of the weakest birthdays i've ever had.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? if i'd accomplished more of my new year's resolutions. le sigh.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2003? DUDE, I RULE!
34. What kept you sane? MUSIC mostly. friends.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? BEN GIBBARD!
36. What political issue stirred you the most? nothing touches me, man. err...
37. Who do you miss? the 7-0-3!
38. Who was the best new person you met? i can never pick just one! evan hayden mellosonic, adam sebastian whoisadam, tasha burningblack, jennee weelassjen, and giselle gigimiree.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2003: read THIS.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
i am waiting for something to wrong
i am waiting for familiar resolve
i am waiting for another repeat
another diet fed by crippling defeat
and i am waiting for that sense of relief
i am waiting for you to flee the scene
as if you held in your hand the smoking gun
and on the floor lay the one you said you loved.
- expo '86 (death cab for cutie)
completely unrelated: i took the music nerd quiz here and got 79.4686%, which means i am a Hardcore Music Nerd. dude, wtf!? i am more of a nerd than just that! i demand a re-count.